Thursday, August 28, 2008

My "Staycation"

I'm having a pretty good week.

With exorbitant gas prices and a bad economy, journalists have been throwing around the term "staycation" to describe vacations where folks choose to take time off, but "stay" at home instead of travel to exotic destinations. Irrespective of money, the fact is we are kind of limited right now in where we can go. Gone, for now, are the days of going to Paris, Barcelona, or Taipei and HK for a week or two. Sigh. Liz and I were fortunate enough to be able to travel to a lot of places, so I'm sure no one is feeling sorry for us now. Anyway, until the little critter is a little older, we are home-bound.

So what have I been doing this week? Nothing too exciting. Catching up on sleep a little bit. Lina's sleep routine is much improved since last month, but there are still some challenging nights. The daytime naps still have room for improvement. Anyway, I was able to "sleep-in" a bit this week. I've also been working on our taxes. Yes. 2007 taxes. Embarrassingly enough, I never completed our tax return. Yes, I did file an extension. To paint a worse picture of my own "not on top of it-ness," I'm not even doing it myself. But I'm still using an accountant in New Jersey, so it's just been a matter of pulling together all my documents, filling out a Tax Organizer worksheet, and FedEx-ing it over. What else? Insurance. I ranted about insurance a while ago. Trying to sort through all the mess and make sure we get all the claims checks we are entitled to. Finally, I've been filing. I'm a bit "OCD" about filing. I like having all my documents/mail organized - so much so that Liz bought me a nice (wooden) filing cabinet last year for my birthday present. Other guys want new golf clubs, plasma TV's or state-of-the-art BBQ grills. Not me. I like nice filing cabinets to enable and inspire my filing. Weird. So, with my trusty label maker in hand, I've been catching up on some major filing. This may all sound terribly mundane and boring to folks, but for me, it has been very therapeutic. It's just nice to have some time to catch up on these "life-maintenance" things, especially since our lives went into complete chaos almost four months ago. Speaking of which, yes, I've been spending a lot of time with the almost-four month old. And that has been, definitely a lot better than filing! Maybe I'll post some recent pics tomorrow.

No comments: