Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Beijing 2008: Opening Ceremony's Darling was Lip-Syncing

Again, I'm sure you've heard this already too - the cute girl who sang the touching song "Ode to the Motherland" during the opening ceremony pulled a Milli Vanilli. Here's the article on CNN.

This is wrong on so many levels. First of all, the real talent was prevented from singing because of her appearance. According to CNN, "Lin was lip-syncing to the sound of another girl, 7-year-old Yang Peiyi, who was heard but not seen, apparently because she was deemed not cute enough." It was the decision of high-ranking officials. Hmm, I wonder how you communicate that to the little girl. "Hey little Peiyi, you have been bestowed the honor to represent your country with your beautiful voice on the most important night of our modern history. But...here, can you sing into this microphone and...make sure you just stand behind the stage during the opening ceremony. Don't let anyone see your homely face and crooked teeth." I mean, what does that do this little girl? And what is the message to the rest of the country? It just confirms the hard truth: your looks matter. Just awful.

Secondly, it just leaves another bitter taste of the State over the Individual thing. A reminder that the state can do whatever they want to whomever they want whenever they want. Scary isnt' it. Lastly, it's just deceptive. Seems so "un-Olympic-like."

Having said all that, though, I am still floored by the Opening Ceremony. I watched the utterly amazing blocks sequence again tonight while trying to bottle-feed Lina. I guess my two posts on the Olympics have been pretty negative so far. I love the Olympics, always have. I'll try to write some more positive stuff later on.

No comments: