Sunday, September 13, 2009

Comfort food

When people think about Taiwan, they invariably think about all the great food. Now, I'm no expert in what exactly "Taiwanese cuisine" is, but I know that a lot of what we consider Taiwanese food is the simple comfort foods that one can get in just about any neighborhood in Taiwan from street vendors and small mom and pop operations. I don't mean to limit "Taiwanese cuisine" to this, as I'm sure there is a higher-end cuisine than this stuff, but this is the stuff that I love. When I'm in Taiwan, (and even when I'm not), I crave the simple stuff. Today, I walked down our street and just collected a bunch of stuff for lunch. It was so satisfying!


(Clockwise, from the top) [note: pinyin spelling as well as english interpretation may be inaccurate]
1. "cong you bing" - onion pancake, 2. "shui jiao" - pork dumplings, 3. "guo tie" - fried dumplings, 4. "cao fan" - pork fried rice, 5. "xiao long bao" - small dragon dumplings (another type of dumpling, like the kind from DTF), 6. "lu ro fan" (or, "lo ba beng" inTaiwanese) - don't even know what to call this. Some sort of minced pork thing over rice. My personal favorite.


close-ups


I just love this stuff. Call me a peasant - this ain't exactly dinner at Bouley or Babbo - but this was a FEAST for me!

4 comments:

rly said...

omg i am so jealous!!!

Jo said...

YUM! too bad you can't bring all that food back.

Wendy said...

YUM! Seriously...when you asked what you could bring back? Some of that! Den and I were on a search for the perfect lo ba beng when we were last there too!

Jackie said...

looks delicious - its been so long since i've had that kind of food - i'm drooling!